Paige Paterson

Paige Paterson

Wednesday, December 18, 2013

2013 Wrap Up

Here’s what I have been up to since my Japan Keirin racing in September this year.

During the year we aim to peak for certain events, and by peaking for a whole month of racing in Japan, you naturally lose a little condition. So afterwards, I had a quick stop over at home before moving down to Invercargill to rebuild condition and find form again before the Oceania Championships.

Oceania’s had attracted a world-class field because of the UCI points on offer, so it was sure to be tough. This was going to be my first International competition since stepping up into the Elite age group. My best shot was in the Keirin, having competed in a whopping 25 keirin races this year! Being the only Kiwi in the Kierin final, and competing against 2 x Olympic gold medalist, and 10 x World Champion Anna Meares, you could say my nerves were rather high. But it was an exciting race and I was happy to walk away as the 5th best Keirin rider in the Oceania region.


In Anna Meares wake after the Keirin Final

Since the middle of October I have based myself down here in Invercargill so that I can focus purely on my cycling (while still completing Massey University studies extramurally). It has been extremely beneficial training on the indoor velodrome with my NZ teammates, Steph and Katie, pushing each other to the limits every day. I have also enjoyed working alongside Ross Machejefski on the track and Will Payne in the gym to get a different perspective on what I can work on. I have seen many improvements in this short space of time and I am really looking forward to further benefiting from the BikeNZ centralization in Cambridge in 2014.

My Japan Girls Keirin friend was competing also on the Tandem Bike, so awesome to catch up!


Road riding with my teammate Katie down in Invercargill
Post training lunch at Pita Pit

We have also had a lot of fun besides training. Over the past 3 weekends, I have visited Queenstown, Wanaka and been to the Invercargill horse races. Water skiing, mountain biking and training in the new High Performance gym in Wanaka were my highlights! I have also been studying a summer University paper over the last 6 weeks, which just finished on Monday! Man am I looking forward to some time off from studies over summer. Last semester I completed one paper while away in Japan, which resulted in my first ever A grade!! So I am 5 papers down with a B+ average for my first year..only about 5 more years to go..

Waterskiing in the Wanaka Lake
Mountain biking in Wanaka, such a beautiful country we live in!
In orange at the Invercargill Horse Races 

My future plans consist of a full summers training including the big move to Cambridge where I will set up camp for the next few years. My next competition is the Nationals in March 2014, to be held at the new Avantidrome in Cambridge.  Hopefully a few of my friends and family will be able to make the quick drive down from Auckland to check out the live action which is sure to be lightning fast!

I hope you all have a great festive season, enjoy the summer weather and time with your friends and family.


Paige xx

1 comment: