Paige Paterson

Paige Paterson

Monday, March 2, 2015

2014 Brain Injury and the Year Ahead

Just an update since my 65+ kph crash last May which left me with two spinal fractures and severe concussion. See the posts below for more information on this.
A tough topic to talk about but here is a short interview on my 2014 Brain Injury. Thank you to the Teen Online Problem Solving program for this footage.


Flat dinners in Cambridge
At this present point in time, 9-months on the injuries are showing good signs of mending and improvement, which has been such a relief. I have been very fortunate that people have supported me and allowed me full flexibility depending on how I feel each day. I have kept my mind off things by passing both the Cycling NZ Level 1 Coaching and Instructors course, and completing a comprehensive marketing plan for a private company. After passing my Massey University Market Research paper last semester with an A and receiving a Certificate of Excellence for being one of the top students in this paper, I went on to complete market research analysis for the Perry Group in Hamilton. The Perry Group is looking to create an Adventure Park in north Hamilton (https://www.facebook.com/hamiltonadventurepark) and my job was to estimate the demand for this! After a successful project, I look forward to working with the Perry group for this project going forwards.
Enjoying the last of summer in Raglan

I have also teamed up with Rapha to bring ‘Rapha Corporate Sessions’ to the Avantidrome for corporate riders to get their track cycling fix before work each Monday morning. I have loved being able to share some of my knowledge, see keen people wanting a mix of improvement and involvement with a group that I have a lot fun with.

Some of the Corporate riders with their Rapha Caps

I have been fortunate enough to be working with the Laura FergussonRehabilitation Centre for the past few months who have been constantly assessing my progress and giving me exercises to improve my concussion symptoms. Although fragile at times, my head is handling daily life much, much better. Getting back on the bike however, is still proving challenging. I am still not fit to vertically move my head in the gym and after my first bike interval session last week I had a migrane for the next 3 days!!
Seeming my bike progress at the moment it is two steps forwards-one back with no real definite time frame for completion of rehab, I have made the decision to change my occupation to a University Student for the year ahead. My underlying focus for the year however, is to continue with my rehab without stressing about a time limit of when I am going to get back competing. So this year will allow me to complete the majority of my Bachelor of Business Studies papers so that when my body is at 100%, I can focus my efforts purely on cycling. Assuming this all goes to plan, I will be back on my bike when I am 22 years of age, so there is still plenty of time left in my cycling career yet!
So for the year ahead I am looking forward to achieving the best grades possible in my university papers as well as continuing work for the Perry Group, and coaching at the Avantidrome. I also look forward to restarting my gym program and other exercise activities in the background of my studies, once the doctors have given me the all-clear.

On a final note, wasn't it great to watch the kiwi’s win gold at the World Champs recently and bring home the rainbow jerseys for the very first time in the Team Pursuit! Plus other fabulous medal performances including the Mens Team Sprint, which puts New Zealand Track Cycling in a great position heading into Rio 2016 Olympics.

I hope you have all set your goals for the year and are getting stuck into them!


Best wishes,

Paige


8 comments:

  1. Awww! I'm sorry that you have to go through something like that. It is sad enough that you got involved in an accident, and for it to exacerbate a previous condition. I just hope that you get to the bottom of that at some point, while keeping to your treatments regular and in check. Thanks for sharing that, Paige! I wish you all the best!

    Sabrina Craig @ Medical Attorney NY

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sabrina! really appreciate your suppoort :)

      Delete
  2. The blog posted was very informative and useful. You are doing a great job. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wanted to thank you for this great read!! I definitely enjoying every little bit of it I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you post.
    xiim distance courses

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great blog! Your post is really good very well written and useful to all reader specially for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is great to see the recovery process. I am not sure how you have managed to document it so well but that is important. It is good to give others the same kind of hope that you have. I am not sure I would be doing as well. Cycling is everything to me and I can't imagine breaking from it.

    Modesto Culbertson @ D & Z Law Group

    ReplyDelete

  6. Thanks for sharing this Post, Keep Updating such topics.
    smartanddigital

    ReplyDelete
  7. To support the strength of individuals we offer cycle coaching in Auckland at all levels. We support athletes to develop skill and expertise by providing professional training and growing a network of cyclists to perform at the level they aspire to.

    ReplyDelete